apt get vs synaptic pacage monitor

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Sun May 31 23:28:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 5:54 PM, eyore15 User <mr.mcmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that most often, when someone recommends a piece of software,
> the suggested command is "sudo apt[titude] get X".  Frequently, the same
> software is available via synaptic.  I was taught to use synaptic
> whenever possible and am wondering if that was bad advise.  Is there some
> reason that it seems "apt get" is the preferred method to get new
> software?

Synaptic is just a fancy GUI front-end for apt.  apt-get and aptitude
are CLI front-ends for apt.  Which one(s) you use is up to your
personal preference (which is a Good Thing).  I prefer aptitude, but I
have no fear of the command line - in fact I find it easier to use in
many ways.

So, when someone tells you to install something via apt-get, you
should be able to install the same thing in Synaptic with the same
result...

I think the reason that 'apt-get' is often given as advice is that
it's easier/quicker to type 'sudo apt-get install x' than 'open
synaptic, look for package x, right-click, select mark for
installation, click apply' - coupled with the fact that many
experienced *nix users have been using the command line for years.
Just conjecture though ;)

Chris