ipv6 question!

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Sun May 31 22:45:18 UTC 2009

Michael Casey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just want to ask one big question :)
>
> If I would have an IPv6 address [home pc, behind a router - supporting ipv6
> e.g.: openwrt, ISP gives ipv6], then I can see an IPv6 address with
> ifconfig, on the PC e.g.: "Z"
> So that's my "very unique address". - "Z"
>
> Can that be "seen on the internet", the "Z" address? so anyone can ping me
> from outside, or do an nmap?
>
> Or are there private addresses what the router gives to my pc.: eg.: with
> ipv4 a router could give 192.168.1.10... and that IP couldn't be
> pinged/nmapped from outside (More Secure???)
> Because I heard that there will be no NAT with IPv6?
>
> What will happen to e.g.: a windows xp pc using IPv6? The "C$, D$....
> shares" will be visible to anyone if they know the password?
> sorry for the trivial question... :S :) and thank you for any answer

There is nothing wrong with having a globally routable IP address, and
you can still use just one router to connect to the internet, you just
have to make sure you have a good stateful firewall in between the
internet connection and the computers. A firewall does not even have to
have an IP address, it can be completely transparent except for blocking
and allowing traffic based on the rules set up. NAT is "more secure",
but it is not designed as a security feature.

But unless you have an ISP that supports IPv6, or you are using a tunnel
or something, you would not have globally routable IPv6 for a (probably)
long while.