Xournal for PDF work

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 18:58:15 UTC 2009

        I am working with Journal because a user said it can highlight
an existing pdf file. So I d/l with sudo aptitude install journal and it
came right down and is available at Applications on Gnome.

        Journal is a serious journal software that you can write to and
save. As a side issue it can also load a pdf file as a background. It
now can export as a pdf version 1.4 which is the best version so far.

Journal can be downloaded at http://journal.sourceforge.net/ or
http://math.mit.edu/~auroux/software/xournal/

        As you can see the Xournal effort is being conducted at MIT.

        At version 0.4.2.1 which you get today for Hardy is very capable
with pdf files. You can load them with great ease, even long ones with
pictures, and you can save them as a pdf file that really works.

        Right now you can use the pen to mark on the pdf file and what
you see when the file is saved is the file with the markings. There is a
way to add some words to a pdf but this is not saved. I do not know why.

        This application is not ready for serious pdf file changes but
it is closer than any I have seen. I think we need to tell the guys
working on this software to spend some more time in the pdf file area.
They are smart enough to get this done.

 73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI