removing windows

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:44:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:31 AM, <petevg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> > What's the best way  to remove Windows?
> >
> > 1) using a live cd (I have a copy of 8.04)
> > 2) using partition manager within ubuntu (is that even possible? )
> > 3) a g-parted live cd (I don't have a copy)
> > 4) a rock or hammer
>
> The easiest way to edit a partition in Ubuntu is with "gparted" (Gnome
> Partition Editor).  The Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD comes with gparted
> installed.  You can start it by clicking "Administration" ->
> "Partition Editor" after you boot into the Live version of Ubuntu.
>
> You can also install the "gparted" package under your installed copy
> of Ubuntu, and then start it up by clicking "Administration" ->
> "Partition Editor".
>
> The advantage of the Live CD is that you can wipe the Windows
> partition, and then grow one of your existing Ubuntu partitions to
> fill the unoccupied space.  The advantage of doing things in Jaunty is
> that you don't have to mess about with all that rebooting.
>
> The advantage of a rock is that it's the most satisfying method of
> destroying Windows.  ;-)  But rocks are imprecise instruments, and
> you'd probably hit your Ubuntu-related bits and bytes, as well ...
>
> The usual warning applies:  always back up _all_ of your data before
> messing about with a partition editor.
>
> ~PeteVG
>
> "Terrorism is an act of the weak. But so is walking through the
> airport in our socks.  We can make better choices."
>
> ~ John Goekler

I managed to boot g-parted from a cd (finally found the step I was
missing).  But I am still puzzled.  From ubuntu you open gparted and you see
the windows partition but it seems to have two parts to it, one called
extended as you see in the attached screen shot.  One can be deleted and the
other (extended) not.  So it seemed to me that you can not entirely delete a
windows partition from within ubuntu so I figured you'd need to boot from a
live cd. I did that, opened the partition editor and the same situation
prevailed.  In both cases I found that there was a least some portion of one
of the entries which was still mounted.  So I booted from the usb with
gparted on it and found that the mounting problem was no longer there but I
still could not delete that second bit of the partition.  I went ahead with
the operation and it appears windows is no longer with me (I have not tried
to boot it) but I can not write to that partition (which appears to be
empty).

Also from gparted (booted from the usb) it would not allow me to increase
the size of the ubuntu partition sda/5.

Progress but not where I need to be yet.

thanks for any advice.

gary