gnome-terminal

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sun May 31 15:30:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Chris Sanford <crsanford at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 30 09  0:06, Matthew A Coulliette wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to set the default size of the gnome-terminal
> > version 2.24.1.1?  Also, does anyone know if it is possible to set the
> > shortcut keys for cutting and pasting in gnome-terminal to the standard
> >  ctrl-x,c,v?
> >
> > MatthewMPP
> >
> > --
>
> There are a few ways to change the size of the gnome-terminal but you're
> best bet is probably to use the --geometry option (for example,
> gnome-terminal --geometry 40x12+10+20). You can man it for more details.
> Other options are the windows rule plugin in compiz and devilspie.
>
> I think there might be a way to reassign the ctrl-letter commands using
> stty but it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Just use
> ctrl+shift-x,c,v instead.

One can also use this way to change the default terminal size.  This works
across most distributions, and works for terminals that don't support the
--geometry flag:

- Open the file /usr/share/vte/termcap/xterm in a text editor as root (I
personally use vi).
- Look for the line that reads ":co#80:it#8:li#25:\"
- The co#80 portion of the line is for the number of columns, in this case
80
- The li#25 portion is for the number of lines, in this case 25
- Change the 80 and the 25 to numbers appropriate for what you want.  On my
work desktop, which has a resolution of 1680x1050, I use a terminal size of
192x60, so my line looks like ":co#192:it#8:li#60:\"