Auto mount drives

Chris Jeffries chris at candm.org.uk
Sun May 31 13:17:25 UTC 2009

>         Request - short version.
>         1) how to have extra mount commands run at machine start up
>         2) how to format a command to mount an SMB network volume
>         (Remote OS:
>         Windows XP SP3) (is it possible by machine published machine
>         name?
>         currently I am using IP address)
>         3) how to automatically trigger a mount only when needed
>         (deferred
>         mount)
>         OS: Ubunto 8.04

Thanks guys - that worked fine for items 1 and 2. The SMB volume mount
point looked empty. So I ran 'mount -a' which confusingly said 'nothing
was mounted', but when I checked the mount point again, the volume ha
been loaded. I presume a timing issue of some sort. Not a significant
problem for me though.

Still interested to know if there is an answer to item 3 (deferred
mount).