Installation problem question

Alexandra Zaharia f0rg3r at gmail.com
Sun May 31 11:14:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Anthony J Mekel
<anthonymekel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding installing linux on a Toshiba 4015cdt….I am trying to do the same
> thing (it’s my wife’s old laptop and I’d like to repurpose it). I am not an
> IT guy or anything but am pretty adept at getting things figured out on a
> pc…my question is that when I try to install ubunto 9.04 I get the message:
>

> [    0.000000] ACPI: no DMI BIOS year, acpi-force is required to enable ACPI
>
> [    7.224683] IO ACPI resources could not be allocated.

Does the old laptop you try to install Ubuntu 9.04 have at least 384 MB of RAM?

Second, you said you receive those messages when you "try to install"
Ubuntu 9.04. Where exactly in the install process do you get to?

If the colored menu appears after you've inserted the CD and booted
off it (the part with "Install", "Try", "Check CD for defects" etc.)
then press F6 ("Other Options") and you should get a line for "Boot
Options" that looks similar to:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz
quiet splash --

Just leave the line as it is and add next to the two dashes (without
spaces) "acpi=off" and press enter.

Your line should look similar to:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz
quiet splash --acpi=off

This should boot the image with ACPI support turned off.