Dual monitor with mismatched monitor heights - invisible area.

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat May 30 16:03:50 UTC 2009

I am using Intrepid with two monitors (laptop and TFT monitor) operating in
side-by-side mode, so the the desktop flows from one to the other.  No doubt
there is a more accurate technical term for this mode of operation.  All is
well except for the fact that the two displays have different vertical
resolutions (one is 1280x800, the other 1280x1024) which has the unfortunate
effect that there is an area of the desktop that is off the top of the
smaller screen.  It is easy for things to get lost in this invisible area as
the mouse can be moved into it and things dropped.  Also if I mount a device
or create something on the desktop then the link is placed in this area.

This is not a major disaster as it is easy to move the display on the
background to find them, but it is somewhat annoying.  Is there any way of
achieving the effect that Windows achieves when used in this mode, where the
overall desktop fits the monitors rather than being the larger encompasing
rectangle?

All suggestions gratefully received (within reason)

Colin