Low wifi reception in Ubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat May 30 13:45:18 UTC 2009

A new Ubuntu user is suffering from low wifi reception of his own home
router in Ubuntu. In Windows XP Pro SP2 Cracked Edition he sees a
perfect wifi signal all over the house and patio. In Ubuntu 9.04 he
has terrible wifi reception, and cannot use it at all outside the
living room where even there he is lucky to get a connection. This is
a desktop computer, not a laptop by the way, and we moved it around
for testing purposes only (it's location in the house makes wired
access unreasonable). The wifi card is a Level One WNC-0301.

Any ideas what this could be about, and how to solve it? My first
guess is that Linux is running the card on a different protocol from
Windows (the card supports 801.11g) but I do not know how to check
which protocol either OS is using.

Thanks for any ideas!

--
Dotan Cohen