Root partition full...how should I free up space?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri May 29 19:46:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Faizan Kazi <faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems like the folders in / add up to about 8G, but there really is 15G
>> used, so, what's in / itself?
>> Try   sudo ls -ahl / and let's see if there's something extra there.
> faizan at faizan-jaunty:~$ sudo ls -ahl /
> drwxr-xr-x  20 root root 4.0K 2009-05-23 01:08 .
[ snip ]
> Seems its pretty much emtpy!! I am SO confused... :s

Those sizes don't refer to their contents.  I was looking for extra
files and folders... but I don't see any.

Can you run sudo du -sh /* again and post it verbatim like you just did?

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false