router security

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu May 28 17:43:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009, NoOp wrote:

> On 05/24/2009 01:13 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 May 2009, NoOp wrote:
>>> 7. Assign Static IP Addresses to Devices
>>> [excellent advise]
>>
>> I already have most everything on your list implemented with the
>> exception of #'s 3,5,and 7. 3 and 5, as you observed, give you very
>> little, if anything. Being a noob with networks, I don't know how to
>> accomplish #7. Any pointers/links/docs etc?
>
> This is setup both in your router and your client (system). Please
> advise which router(s) you are using.

It's a Linksys WRT54Gl. I also have been running wicd.

>> The only real problem is the firewall. I use Firestarter and if I try to
>> run it on the laptop with the desktop connection shut down
>> Firestarter refuses to start. The error message is
>
> If you have a linksys router, the firewall in that router should be
> sufficient when connected to your home network via that router. While
> roaming Firestarter might be a good idea, but I've only tested it once
> or twice. So I don't know enough about it to help. You might have a look at:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firestarter
> to see if that helps.

I have the router firewall enabled and at present have it blocking ftp
and telnet. I'll play with it some more.

It dawned on me that the firestarter problem isn't really a problem.
Even if it ran on the laptop with the desktop offline, the desktop
would be vulnerable as soon as I connected it.

I was wondering if wpa was cracked and the router breached, would the
firewall(s) be bypassed (or am I being *too* paranoid)?

I've also been considering forgetting about wireless and going to a
crossover cable or a hard wired non-wireless router. Loss of roaming
wouldn't be a problem and the laptop would only be used in one or two
locations in the house. It seems that would give the same security as
the present hardwired desktop. Opinions?

Thanks again for your help.

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279