Whats that called...

Michael M. Moore michael at writemoore.net
Thu May 28 13:57:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 17:18 +0200, Wybo Dekker wrote:
> Steve Dean wrote:
> >> Can anyone remind me of the name of that util you can run on linux boxes
> >> that will have a look at a range of common settings and report what it
> >> thinks need changing (log on as root, permissions, etc) ?
> >
> > Bastille??
>
> hm... the one on jaunty says:
>
> w:root>bastille
> ERROR:   'DB5.0' is not a supported operating system.
>           Valid operating system versions are as follows:
>           'DB2.2' 'DB3.0' 'DB3.1' 'DB4.0' 'RH6.0' ...

Well, the Bastille-Linux [1] homepage hasn't been updated for quite some
time:

"Bastille UNIX release coming January 14th, 2008."

Seems they had some plans for a name-change -- perhaps they've hit some
snags with that and other things.

In any case, "DB4.0" was Debian Etch and "DB5.0" is Debian Lenny, which
is the current stable Debian release.  Lenny was released in February.
So it's anyone's guess whether this tool would work with Ubuntu (or even
Lenny) now.

I think an operation that has trouble keeping pace with Debian's
notoriously l-o-n-g release cycles is probably in trouble.  :-)

[1] http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/

--
Michael M.