Themes for Vanilla non-internet-enabled 8.10

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Thu May 28 00:36:20 UTC 2009

J Bickhard wrote:
> I'm looking for some good themes for Ubuntu 8.10. The catch: it is a vanilla
> installation, and getting on the I-net and DLing packages is not an option
> right now, so I would appreciate if you would not offer stuff like "gets on
> the net d00d". I'm looking for themes that are just going to the customise
> dialog and selecting "install theme" and bang, new theme. Perferred themes:
> vista/windows 7 look, to fool my friends into thinking I have vista, Mac OS
> look, and whatever you can think of.
>

> Thank you,
> Jake, Editor of Micro 100 Magazine

You can use the majority of themes(/icons/window decorations) from
gnome-look.org by downloading their .tar.gz files on another system,
copying to the system, and installing through the Appearance
Preferences. Only a few of them require additional packages.

There are plenty of Windows and Mac clones.