dosfsck slowing down startup

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed May 27 13:24:47 UTC 2009

y199mp1505 at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to stop dosfsck from running at startup?
>
> I can see it takes 2-3 seconds all for itself.

You must have a vfat filesystem in your fstab.  You can change the sixth
field (the second of two numbers at the end of the line) to 0 to not
fsck that filesystem.  However, keep in mind that fat is not a journaled
file system, and I don't believe mounting it will detect if the last
shutdown was clean.  (Ie, with fsck, you can mount a corrupted fat file
system and therefore render it even more damage.).