Jaunty network problem

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 27 07:30:28 UTC 2009

Huisi Wang wrote:
>> How are you configuring the interfaces? via DHCP?
>>
>> It sounds like your ethernet device isn't getting the default gateway
>> set correctly.
>>
> Yes, I use DHCP. If it's the problem of default gateway, how to set it
> up correctly? Why doesn't jaunty set correctly?
>
> Thanks,
> Huisi

Generally, buggy DHCP server. I often find external wifi does the
reverse of this.

connect to wireless.

type >route

This tells you what the gateway _should_ be.

 >cat /etc/resolv.conf might be handy in case it's name resolution that
didn't set up right.

connect to eth0

repeat the above steps.

if it's route, >route add gw nn.nn.nn.nn (I think that's the right order :)

if it's resolv.conf, edit it / replace it with the wireless version &
see if that works.

Mark