Intel graphics

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Tue May 26 19:29:21 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Florian Diesch wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

>>> graphics--/features/113196
>>>
>>> Actually, it's not.  That describes the "performance regressions".  It is
>>> for those reasons that KDE turns off desktop effects when you start a
>>> session using an Intel adapter.
>>
>> On some cards normal 2D performance is affected, too, on some to a
>> degree that working with a GUI is hardly possible anymore.
>
> Exactly my point - that page doesn't explain that.

They mention windows moving too slow and talk a lot about 2D
acceleration (XXA, EXA, UXA). But I agree, they focus on the technical
difficulties but don't explain much which problems they are causing

>  And it seems to me KDE doesn't actually turn off desktop effects
> when you start a session, as I read somewhere - it does it when
> trying to apply effects, and the effects take too long.

I'm not using KDE. At least Compiz refuses to start when it finds
some blacklisted graphic card models.

I was thinking about to switch from Gnome to KDE as Qt works much
better with my 845GL than GTK but then decided to get a cheap Nvidia
graphic card instead.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>