Dual boot, auto mount NTFS partition

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 26 18:54:58 UTC 2009

On 05/26/2009 10:07 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> Apologies if this is one of those questions that is continually being asked,
> I have googled without finding the answer.
>
> I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed dual boot with XP and all is well.  In Places I
> see '58.5 GB Media' which is my NTFS partition and if I click that it mounts
> the partition and I can access it with no problem.
>
> I have a link on the desktop to a document in that partition and if I click
> the link it successfully opens the document, provided I have previously
> mounted the partition by selecting it in Places as described above.
>
> The problem is that if I click the link without having accessed the
> partition from the Places menu then it seems that the partition has not been
> not mounted so the link fails.  Can I set something so that it will
> automatically be mounted on boot?  I think I know how to mount a partition
> by putting an entry in /etc/fstab, but I think that would not then be the
> same mount as if I select it from Places, which would be confusing.
>
> In addition if possible I would like to change the name to something more
> meaningfull (from 58.5GB Media).
>
> Many thanks for any help that can be offered.
>
> Colin

Mount it in fstab.
For mine I have:

UUID=<uuid#> /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

For changing the name, Rick DeZemplen sent me this handy tip:

====
Use gconf-editor to turn off "/apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible".

Right click on desktop and choose "Create Launcher".
Under "Type" choose "Location".
Enter a name that you will recognize (i.e. "CD or DVD").
Under "Command" enter something similar to "file:/media/cdrom0/"
representing the path to you CD mount point.
Choose "OK".

This label will not change based upon if and what you have in the
drive, but it will be an easy way to access the contents of the drive.
====

I now see a drive icon w/'Windows Drive' (the name I chose) and no
longer have to see the xyzGB Media icon.