1280 X 768 corrected

Jason Straight jason at jeetkunedomaster.net
Tue May 26 17:15:18 UTC 2009

On 05/26/2009 12:46 PM, Dennis wrote:
> 1st post 'subject' was in error, sorry folks.
>
> thank for the help so far, I just can't seem to solve 1280 x 768 which
> is max on my laptop Radeon 600.
>
> info from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
>

> sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I save the text below, reboot, then it lockup with a message on the
> screen that reads cannot recognize 1400 x 900 resolution.  as you will
> note below I only have 1280 x 768 in the xorg.conf
>

> Section "Device"
>          Identifier      "Radeon 600"
>          Driver          "ati"
>          BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>          Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
>          Option          "BusType" "PCI"
>          Option          "AGPMode" "1"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>      Identifier   "Monitor0"
>      VendorName   "Unknown"
>      ModelName    "DELL SE178WFP"
>      HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
>      VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>      Identifier "Screen0"
>      Device     "Card0"
>      Monitor    "Monitor0"
>      DefaultDepth 24
>      SubSection "Display"
>          Viewport   0 0
>          Depth     24
>          Modes "1280x768_60"
>          Virtual         1280 768
>      EndSubSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
>          Option "Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection

Do you have a modeline defined for Modes "1280x768_60" in your xorg.conf?

Also might try to see if you can start in 1024x768 or some such
resolution then use xrandr to switch to your desired resolution after X
starts.

I have an issue with my 3400HD (ATI), which the fglrx drivers won't
start it in the right resolution, but xrandr can set it afterward.