Wcid Program problems

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:25:44 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/25/2009 04:38 PM, Steven Susbauer wrote:
>
>> Res wrote:

>>> *coughs*
>>>
>>> Whats stupid and scary is Karl creating wiki pages for newbies, no, in
>>> fact thats not scary, thats downright dangerous.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Res
>>>
>>> -Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers
>>>

>> They've been cleaned up... for now...
>>

> Apparently not cleaned up enough...
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin/KarlLarsen
> <quote>
> But first you need to remove the Network-Manager software and that is
> simple too.
> </quote>
>
> wicd automatically removes network manager. And Karl obviously didn't
> take my advise to read the information on the site:

> Karl wrote:
>
>>> Why? I have wicd up and running on all three of my computers, so I am
>>> done. They all just work!
>>>

> Had he done so, he just *might* have found:
>
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin
> then
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin/Wicd%20on%20Ubuntu
>

>> Installing
>>
>> On Jaunty, Wicd is in the Universe Repository. To install:
>>
>>     *
>>
>>       sudo aptitude install wicd
>>
>> Aptitude will attempt to remove network-manager and gnome-network-manager. Allow it to do so.
>>

>> Configuration
>>
>>     * Configuration of Wicd is extremely simple, and automatic for wired clients. To configure a wireless connection:
>>          1.
>>
>>             Open the Wicd network manager in Applications > Internet > Wicd Network Manager (you may also click the tray icon if present).
>>          2. See if the wireless network you're looking for shows on the list. If it is a hidden network, click the down arrow next to the Network button, and type in the ESSID of the network.
>>          3. If the network you want to connect to is listed, press the "Connect" button next to it.
>>          4.
>>
>>             If you get the message "This network requires encryption to be enabled." hit OK, then click the arrow next to the network name.
>>          5. Hit the "Advanced Settings" button.
>>          6. Check the "Use Encryption" checkbox, choose your encryption type and type in the key. You may also assign a static IP or DNS in here, but most users will not need to.
>>          7. Hit OK.
>>          8. Now hit connect again. This time the connection should come up relatively quickly.
>>          9. If you plan to use this connection all the time, consider pressing the "Automatically connect to this network" checkbox. You have to open the arrow next to the network name to choose it.
>>

> Karl, I sincerely _think_ that you mean well. But creating a wiki page
> for wicd really isn't helpful to others.

    What you have copied off the wiki on the wcid web page is a many
person effort to get the proper things on the wiki. Someone thinks that
adding a repository and a key will get wcid going on Hardy and 8.10.
Alas it doesn't work. Getting the deb file from the web site works fine.

    The first thing I wrote was not good because I was learning how to
use the wiki. I was directed to the "first page" where a much better
effort now exists under USING Ubuntu. I have been emailing with Mr. Black.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User