(fake)raid problems with jaunty

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Mon May 25 22:11:10 UTC 2009

prad wrote:
> we have a supermicro 1.26G server with 4 scsi hd and a dac960 raid card
> it's worked great on freebsd for about a year, but we want to switch to
> ubuntu.
>
> we can install jaunty without bootloader and separately install grub
> (or lilo) and the booting fails, it seems because it can't find the raid
> array. we've tried raid5, raid0+1, raid0.
>
> the livecd doesn't boot. neither do other distribution installs such as
> slackware, suse, fedora or even debian. we've tried the ubuntu server
> version as well as the alternate cd. we've had no better luck with 8.04
> either.
>
> i find it peculiar that freebsd (7.0 and 7.1), works right away with
> this, but so many linuxes don't even boot and ubuntu can't seem to
> mount root.
>
> thoughts on possible solutions:
>
> 1. figure out some way to disable the dac960 and use software raid. if
> we disable in bios, clear config or pull the card, the harddrives aren't
> picked up by the motherboard.
>
> 2. find a way to boot from something else ide, cdrom, even floppy and
> try to transfer control to the raid drive setup.

What happens when you install grub using the install cd instead of
seperately?

Does your system support booting from the raid (I would think yes if
FreeBSD works fine), in this case you shouldn't need to transfer control
to the raid drive. It is not necessarily uncommon to have an IDE drive
or something with the loader which boots the system from the raid though.

FreeBSD and Linux use different drivers. If the drivers are somehow
broken in Linux than it would not work on most any, until it was fixed.