Any luck with Canon iP2600 printer?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 25 20:10:37 UTC 2009

On 05/25/2009 06:40 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> Canon does not really work and play well with Ubuntu.  I had a Pixima iP
>>> series printer and couldn't get it to work with 8.04, 8.10, or 9.04.
>>> Worked find with a pc, so I found a PC to pair it with and got an HP to
>>> use with Ubuntu.
>>
>> Nonsense. I use a Canon MP750 and it works just fine.
>
> Not really "nonsense".  Canon's postscript printers, and maybe some others,
> should work, but Canon Pixma's are useless.  So _some_ Canon's will play
> well with Ubuntu.

My MP750 is a 'Pixma'.

>> However, I will
>> admit that the free drivers sometimes create issues so I use Turboprint
>> for the added features, quality, and updates. BTW: HP printers do *not*
>> always just work out of the box... I've had to download and install
>> direct HP drivers for multiple customers HP printers in the recent past.
>
> Perhaps not always out of the box, but at least the drivers are available.

They are available for this printer:

<http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P/search?model=PIXMA+iP2680&filter=0&menu=>
<http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P/search?model=PIXMA+iP2680&menu=download&filter=0&ca_os=Linux>
Deb and rpm's.

Driver guides for linux are also provided... so for some printers Canon
seems to be getting it's act together:

<http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P/search?model=PIXMA+iP2680&filter=0&menu=manual>

> My experience is that some Pixma's can be made to work, but it's hit-and-
> miss, and even models that _should_ work often don't.

Not sure what trouble you've encountered... perhaps I've just been
lucky. However, as mentioned previously, the free drivers haven't always
worked as well as I'd like (label alignment is my biggest problem), so I
use a commercial driver from Turboprint instead:

http://www.turboprint.info/printers.html
http://www.turboprint.info/printers_Canon.html

Note to Jerry: Turboprint drivers just (IMO) rock. For me they have been
well worth the money. Driver for your printer is here:
<http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_driver.phtml?printer=Canon_PIXMA_iP2600>
You can download and test w/full features & functions for 30 days:
http://www.turboprint.info/faq.html