Ubuntu 8.04 LTS problem

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 25 08:41:06 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Dear Nils,
>>                 As u told me i do that . But the problem i tell you.
>>  Suppose i open firefox and open 8 to 7 sites. after that i open eclipse and
>> any other software . or i just running only eclipse .
>> than the screen get black and that software and any other software , firefox
>> not work and i have to restart pc and force full quit the software. you get
>> my point what i want to ex plane you .
>>

> You should definitely run memtest for a few hours (let it sit
> overnight) and if you hard drive supports SMART (it should) then you
> should test it as well.
>
> If either of those tests fail then reseat your RAM or replace your HD
> ribbon before you try replacing the components themselves.

All good ideas.

Is the machine dual boot by chance ? If it is then do you get similar
problems with other OSes (windows for instance) ? If it is dual boot,
and the other OSes also show problems, then it does look like a hardware
fault. If not, they don't, then it is perhaps more likely a software
problem with ubuntu.

cheers Chris