router security

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun May 24 19:16:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Rashkae wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> I'm running a Linksys wireless router with wpa encryption for my
>> laptop and a desktop is hardwired into it. I'm wondering how
>> secure the wired connection is in as much as wireless isn't
>> involved. It seems as though the wired connection wouldn't be
>> secure if the router got cracked. The router has a 64 hex character
>> passphrase.
>>
>> Anyone knowledgeable have any thoughts on this?
>>

> Indeed, if someone takes the time and effort to crack your WPA, which is
> possible (last I checked, Elcomsoft was selling software to do exactly
> that,) the attacker would have free reign to snoop on your wired
> connection, or otherwise try their hand at launching attacks against any
> computer on your network, wired or wireless.  If you're that concerned
> about it, you can install two NIC's on a computer and put wireless and
> wired on their own Nic and subnet, and configure iptables so traffic
> between those two interfaces is never allowed to cross (with the
> exception of allowing traffic to the gateway, if that is located on one
> of the two subnets.)  I've used exactly this configuration at a few
> locations where they wanted to provide public or semi-public wireless
> internet access while also allowing simple file sharing within the
> office Lan.

Hadn't thought of two NICs. If I can figure out how to set up iptables I
might give it a try. Alternatively I *could* say the hell with  wireless
and use a switch with cat5. The laptop will probably be used in only one
or two locations in the house.

Thanks

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279