keyrings

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Sat May 23 16:31:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, 23 May 2009 07:15:41 -0500, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Shannon McMackin wrote:

>>> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bjaunty+%2Bwireless+%2Bkeyring&btnG=Search>
>>> and
>>> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=jaunty+%2Bwireless+%2Bkeyring>
>>>
>>> might help.
>>>

>> What's odd here, is that on my jaunty install, I only had to enter my
>> wep key once in my profile and never once was I prompted for a keyring
>> password.  I was prompted from the live CD that I installed from.  Maybe
>> installing from DVD gives you the additional packages for the keyring.
>>

>     Thank you Shannon! I have no idea what happened. The Key Ring I
> think is a VERY BAD idea which is causing lots of Ubuntu users trouble.
> What we need is a way to disable the Key Ring in Gnome.
>
>     In anycase I entered my problem onto an existing bug. There are
> hundreds of them :-)
>

> Karl

The keyring is actually a great idea, just one that many users are not
used to (maybe if they come from Mac, which uses keychains). What better
way can you think of to save system passwords in a secure form without
random applications saving them theirselves in whichever way the developer
thought to do? This is exactly why a standard keyring system exists, with
one password to unlock it. It can be set to unlock on login though.

You can set or remove a keyring password (or a keyring itself - but you
will most likely recreate it whenever you use the app that tries storing
to the keyring) using seahorse. Just fire it up, open the "Passwords" tab
and right click on whichever keyring you want to modify.