Help with cross-over cable connection

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:31:41 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 12:21 -0400, pkaplan1 wrote:
> I am planning to attach an old wireless router to my home network to serve as
> a second access point and as a switch.  Once I get to the router's config page,
> I know I can turn off DHCP so that it doesn't conflict with my home network and
> set a new IP address, but at the moment the old router's IP address is the
> same as the new router's IP address so unless I shut down my network, which
> I'd rather not do, I can't connect both routers to the network at the same
> time.
>
> How can I get to the old router's config page using a crossover cable?  Is
> there a gui tool for this?
> TIA
> Paul

Sounds like you are making it too complicated.  Just disconnect your
computer from the new network, connect it to the old router, reconfigure
then hook them both together.  Or am I not understanding your question?

Brian

PS  Overlapping DHCP routers won't matter for a short period of time as
long as no one asks for a new address....