thomson TG585v7 router set up

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat May 23 12:10:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 11:51 +0100, norman wrote:
> I am currently using an old Netgear router which I think is about to die
> on me so, having a new router to hand, I decided to try it out. It
> powered up OK, connected to the broadband OK but when I plugged in the
> ethernet connection to my computer nothing happened. I have read lots of
> references but cannot find any real advice to help to overcome the
> problem. As soon as I reconnect my old router everything works.

How do you know it connected to the broadband ok if you can't connect to
it?  Seems to me you have some assumptions here (based on the lights on
the panel?) that are possibly incorrect.

When you connect your computer to one of the ethernet ports does the
link light illuminate on both ends?

Are you using DHCP or static addressing?
If DHCP, do you get an address from the router?

Are you using Network Manager, Wicd, manual configuration, something
else?

More info please - 'Nothing happens' isn't very helpful in this case.

Brian