Skype and Sound

Ron Wenig rwenig at verizon.net
Sat May 23 01:53:27 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I have Ubuntu Juanty 9.04 and Skype 2.0.072.  I am using an external
Creative USB sound card.  My sound preferences are set to auto detect
and everything tests fine and I have no trouble with any sound
application.  I have no problem with Skype sound.  My problem is I
cannot use Skype and listen to anything else at the same time.  If I am
listening to say a web site video with sound and try to use Skype a
message pops up saying there is a problem with the sound.  If I am using
Skype and try to listen to say a web site with sound I don't hear
anyting.  When I use Skype and use test under sound preferences there is
no test sound.  It seems that Skype needs to have the sound to itself.
I was wondering if anyone knows a fix for this.

Thanks,

Ron