Epson Perfection V350 scanner problems

Wybo Dekker wybo at servalys.nl
Fri May 22 14:45:11 UTC 2009

My Epson Perfection V350 scanner works fine under SuSE-11.0,
but refuses to work under Ubuntu 9.04.

I first tried with libsane-extras, but although sane-find-scanner says

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x012f [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:001:006

scanimage -L does not find a scanner:

and scanimage without arguments says: scanimage: no SANE devices found

I then, via the Epson site
(http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL2.do), compiled and
installed iscan_2.19.2-1.tar.gz from source, but that changed nothing.
Running iscan, I get the message:

Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status.

But restarting the deamon with sudo /etc/init.d/saned restart did not
help. I'm out of ideas, and hope for a hint from the list!

--
Wybo