advice for ubuntu on a small machine

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Fri May 22 01:03:45 UTC 2009

anthony baldwin <photodharma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Florian Diesch wrote:
>> Kjetil Halvorsen <kjetil1001 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> About 200 MB ram. Windows XP are running on those machines now, very slowly..
>>
>> "Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just
>> 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB
>> RAM." (http://www.xubuntu.org/get)
>>
>>> We hope for something slim enough to be faster.
>>
>> I'd install Xubuntu and a simple window manager and then use that
>> window manager instead of Xfce.
>
> Then why wouldn't you just install crunchbang (ubuntu with openbox
> default wm)?

I never used it myself and don't know how serious one has to take
"CrunchBang Linux is not recommended for anyone needing a stable
system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
frequent breakage." (http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/about) so I don't
recommend it to others.

> Or use an alternate install that doesn't include any wm, and install
> whichever other wm it is you want, (like fvwm, icewm, dwm, awm, xmonad,
> ion3, fluxbox or some other lite/fast wm)?

IMHO it's easier to install Xubuntu and get a decent collection of
programs than to select everything yourself (if you don't mind a few
MByte extra disk space).

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>