advice for ubuntu on a small machine

Arthur H. Johnson II arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Fri May 22 00:01:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Sean Carolan wrote:

> xubuntu will run fine in 200MB, make it easy on your self.  The
> install is painless, and the GUI easy to learn.  Don't torture your
> end-users with something like WindowMaker...or emacs (!?!?)

Xubuntu will run fine.  You will want to run Seamonkey or Epiphany instead
of Firefox however.

Alternatively you can install a cli (command line) only system, then just
install what you want.  That way you can have xfce4 without all the extras
xubuntu installs.  I have a blog at http://leanubuntu.blogspot.com which
is documenting my experiences on running Ubuntu on low end machines.