Ubuntu Starting Questions

Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle mailinglists at MailNewsRSS.com
Thu May 21 22:31:02 UTC 2009

Hi All,

It has been a long while since I used Linux for everyday tasks. I have
a new netbook running 9.04 UNR.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I install Development tools? GCC, C++, make, autoconf, etc,
etc.? I know apt-get, but is there a package that fetches/installs
everything?

2. What about the latest Java from SUN? I could get from java.sun.com
I suppose too.

3. a text editor that has tabs? I have used SciTe before but that is
not tabbed. Should be fast and have syntax highlighting for web, java,
C++, SQL, etc.

Thanks everyone! Be gone M$

-Jason