advice for ubuntu on a small machine

anthony baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Thu May 21 20:22:48 UTC 2009

J Bickhard wrote:
>> About 200 MB ram. Windows XP are running on those machines now, very
>> slowly.
>> We hope for something slim enough to be faster.
> XP runs in 200MB of RAM? Wow. That's testing the limits there, upgrade
> to a half gig and you will be doing just fine.
>
> I'm currently runnin Ubuntu (full) on:
>
> Pentium III 800
> Asus P3B-F Motherboard
> 5 Gig hard drive
> 524mb RAM
> Ubuntu Flies with advanced graphics turned on, even.
>
> Might I suggest Knoppix? Or DSLinux? They are Live Linux distros that
> will run from a cd on very low spec machines, no hard drive required.
> I think my Ubuntu install took like 2.5 gig. I'll have to check.
>

> Hope I could help!
> Jake, Editor of Micro 100 Magazine

There are also
puppy linux
tinyme
crunchbang linux
all of which are small and run from cd.
I imagine there are others, too.
DSL is pretty darned cool, as well.
You can install it, and sort of convert it to a full Debian, and have
access to full Debian repos.
Kind of makes me wonder why I'm not running a DSL/Debian system, myself,
now that I think of it...

I have an IBM Thinkpad a21m with PIII 750mhz and 512mb ram.
I have crunchbang on it, and it runs great.
Previously I had tinyme on it, and it also ran great.

/tony

--

http://www.photodharma.com
art & photos | tony baldwin