[intrepid 8.10] mail-notification no longer notifies on new mail

David M. Karr davidmichaelkarr at gmail.com
Thu May 21 19:23:27 UTC 2009

David M. Karr wrote:
> I've had "mail-notification --sm-disable" running for my gmail account
> for quite a while now, and it's been working perfectly fine.  When I
> have new unread mail in my Inbox, it notifies me in the notification area.
>
> Starting several days ago, I stopped getting any notification in the
> notification area when I have new unread mail.  I've rebooted a couple
> of times during that span, but it made no difference.
>
> What can I try that might help diagnose this?

I'm still trying to figure this out.

I currently have one unread message in my TB inbox, using IMAP to GMail.

I currently have "mail-notification --sm-disable" showing as a process,
in Sleeping state.

if I run "mail-notification -s" from the shell, I get:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<messages/>

It's also curious that the command-line help for "mail-notification" and
the options described in "man mail-notification" don't quite agree. For
instance, there are some options described in the man page that respond
with "Unknown option" when I try to use them in the shell (like "-l" and
"-m").

Any suggestions?