advice for ubuntu on a small machine

Kjetil Halvorsen kjetil1001 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 16:43:39 UTC 2009

I am considering installing ubuntu or something like that on some old, small
machines. xubuntu could be a good choice (I understand that is based also on

gtk, so most gnome programs should work). But even xubuntu could be to
large.

What other good options are there, to maintain some compatibility with
gnome programs? We need absolutely GNU emacs with auctex for
tex/latex stuff, and abiword or even openoffice would be nice. Also firefox.

¿What options are there?

Kjetil

--
"Mathematics is not the rigid and rigidity-producing schema that the layman
thinks it is; rather, in it we find ourselves at that meeting point of