grub problem

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Thu May 21 13:51:39 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 04:13:20 pm Rashkae wrote:

> And finally, if you boot from a Live CD and enter the grub console, I
> would specify exactly what device I'm referring too.  It's entirely
> possible (read: likely) for the bios to re-organize the order of hard
> drives if you boot from an IDE optical drive then switch to SATA.
>
> For example, use cat /proc/mdstat to verify which devices consists of
> the md device my /boot is on, then, in grub
>
> device (hd0) /dev/sda
> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
> root (hd0,1)
> setup (hd0)
> root (hd1,1)
> setup (hd1)

No way. I've tried doing the above, my partitions are /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 and
/dev/cciss/c0d1p2, the second primary partition of both disks. I've tried to
change the partition type from raid to 83 (linux) and did again the grub
setup, but at the boot time the computer waits a lot and then drop me to a
busybox shell. I can see a message that states that /dev/md0 cannot be found
(it is the root filesystem). I've got a boot filesystem on both disk partitions,
maybe grub cannot load /dev/md0?

Any clue?

Luca