Reinstalling/Downgrading Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 20 20:02:34 UTC 2009

On 05/20/2009 09:40 AM, Bret Busby wrote:

> It is probably not what you want, but, from memory, what I did (in
> upgrading from 8.10 to 8.04) was to make a partition on an external
> storage device, copy the /home directory (as much as was allowed, due to
> privilege) to the external partition, install 8.04 as a new installation
> on the 8.10 partition, then copy the contents of the copied home
> directory, back to the newly installed 8.04 /home directory, which seems
> to have worked.

Thanks... I'm looking more on how to use the existing commands/tools
provided on the install CD's. For example, sometime back I actually
managed to reinstall while keeping the home intact using the alternate
CD - unfortunately I don't remember how I did that. Plus the
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbiquityPreserveHome &
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-target/+bug/174619
indicates that this is available, but I've yet to find instructions to
do this for hardy, intrepid & jaunty. Still searching :-)