Soundblaster drivers where, oh where can I get some?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed May 20 19:52:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM, J Bickhard <jbickhard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/20/09, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snipo>
>> Ah ha!  Sounds like Ubuntu isn't seeing your card.
>> Take a look at 'dmesg' in a terminal screen and/or lshw and see if you
>> can spot where the OS recognizes your sound card.
> So I type those into a termanal screen?
> <snippage>
>> You could check to see 'plug n play OS' is OFF in the BIOS.  That
>> might do the trick.
> So I should turn "Plug and Play OS" on? That might work, it doesn't
> recognise my TV capture card, either, but it recognises my two network
> cards.

That sounds like they are both sharing an IRQ, and ISA and PCI can't
share IRQ's I believe.

I suppose you could turn it on if it's off, but I don't know that will
help.  The reverse is the more common fix.

Can you manually set an IRQ on that sound card? If so, figure out what
IRQ's are in use by the other hardware and assign it differently.
It's been a while since I've had to manually massage IRQ's.  IF the
capture card is also an IRQ issue, changing the slot it's installed in
*may* help.

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false