Jaunty vs. 8.10

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Wed May 20 16:40:59 UTC 2009

J Bickhard wrote:
> I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.1, and am wondering whether I should
>  upgrade to Jaunty, any comments?

I'm very happy with it. I have a 10 year old laptop that's running
Jaunty. My wife's 3 year old laptop is dual-booted (Windows 7 RC1 /
Jaunty). We have several other desktop machines around here running
Jaunty including a MythTV backend recently upgraded without glitches
from 8.10 to 9.04. A couple of the systems are Intel based, The rest
are AMD based. Most of the video cards are nVidea but we also have
ATI, Trident and Intel. My subjective experience is that once Jaunty
got out of beta it stabilized reasonably quickly. It's looking very
solid across the board in both 32 and 64 bit versions. YMMV but once
you get passed any video related teething troubles I think you'll be
well-served by going to Jaunty.
NP: nothing