grub problem

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed May 20 13:41:55 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I've got a problem with grub on a machine that has two disks on raid1. The
boot partition is on disk (hd0,1) and (hd1,1), I've checked that the
partitions are aligned. While the system was running I entered the grub
console and entered:
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
root (hd1,1)
setup (hd1)

and then rebooted (the system tries to mount the /boot partition from the
/dev/md7 device), but grub hangs immediatly, just showing "Loading, please
wait...". I've tried booting from a live cd, opening a shell and disammbling
the raid device, then instrumenting grub to reinstall on one disk, but nothing
changed.
Any suggestion on how to make this machine booting?

Thanks,
Luca