[Asus eeePC] Best practice for moving files over the LAN

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed May 20 04:21:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu)
<amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 12:17, Amichai Rotman wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I just bought myself an Asus eeePC 1000HE. First thing I did was to
>> wipe the drive clean and install EasyPeasy 1.1 on it.
>>
>> I'd like to transfer a few Gigs of data files to it. I have connected
>> it to my home router via Ethernet.
>>
>> I am looking for the best way to transfer the files over.
>>

>> For now I have set an FTP server on my home desktop running Kubuntu
>> 9.04 and used the 'ftp://' URL in a Nautilus window on the laptop.
>>

>> It takes a ling time, since the transfer rate is 7.4MB/s.
>>

>> I am quite sure all the interfaces are set for max speed (how do I make
>> sure?).
>>
>> Is there another, better way, to do it or is this the best way?
>
> The two most convenient ways for occasional copies over my local network
> are in my experience:
>
> scp - you need to install ssh
> rsync

Once you install the ssh server on a machine, you can connect to it
using Nautilus on the eee. Just open a file window, and choose Go -->
Location... and enter

sftp://username@hostname

Of course, this assumes your network is set up to resolve your machine
names. If you are connecting using IP addresses, just substitute the
address for "hostname."

P.S.: Check out the UNR version of Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty"
http://releases.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ -- I installed it on my EeePC 900
and it works without tweaks MUCH better than EasyPeasy or Eeebuntu
did. There are a few small changes I would make if I had time, but
overall it has been great.