ubuntu post installation hardening

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue May 19 20:30:47 UTC 2009

loner wrote:
>> I wonder how many people have computers connected directly to the
>> internet these days? I personally don't know anyone that is not on DSL
>> or cable, and connect via a router, which does NAT, and makes
>> accidental inbound connections difficult. But maybe thats not as
>> common as I think it is.
>
> Some people (e.g. me) share Internet connection, and then you start
> thinking about neighbours... firewalls... etc. ;)
>
> --loner

In any case, most routers are, to some degree or other, craptastic in
the extreme.  I'll grant you, they are the best thing going for
convenience, but if you know how to set up a linux router, you can kiss
your days of "unplug everything, hold your nose, wax the rubber chicken,
reconnect power first to your modem, then to your router, then turn on
your pc" goodbye.  I use them almost exclusively for offices with more
than 4 people who need Internet that just works.