jaunty the worst ever

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue May 19 12:00:54 UTC 2009

Graham Todd said:

> On Mon, 18 May 2009 10:17:16 +0000 (UTC) marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
>
>> > KDE PIM 3.x -> KDE PIM 4.x has been discussed on internet for a long
>> > time. The KDE developpment team did not want to care about the
>> > comatibility.
>> >
>> > They wanted people to migrated by hand their data.
>>
>> In this day and age that's dumb beyond belief. Once you commit to
>> providing migration tools, they are very rarely difficult, often
>> trivial, to produce, and are actually extremely useful for migration
>> testing.
>
> As I understood the matter, that is not the case.
>
> The developers wanted to get a stable base version of KDE4, then they
> could start to migrate KDE3 -> KDE4 data, including KdePIM.

Then they really don't know much about migration at all - which is what I
suspected. And hence I'm not surprised at the mess they made of it.

> They have now a stable version of KDE4 in KDE4.2.2.  Some would say its
> not perfect, but it is at least stable.

Depends how you define 'stable'. Does KDE itself crash on me? No, but a
bunch of functionality has disappeared and many apps routinely crash.

> This is the version that is in
> the Kubuntu Jaunty live disc, and I have to disagree with you that its
> "the worst ever"

I'm not sure who you were responding to, but it wasn't me! I didn't say
that.

--
Best,
Marc