[Asus eeePC] Best practice for moving files over the LAN

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Tue May 19 10:17:33 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I just bought myself an Asus eeePC 1000HE. First thing I did was to
wipe the drive clean and install EasyPeasy 1.1 on it.

I'd like to transfer a few Gigs of data files to it. I have connected
it to my home router via Ethernet.

I am looking for the best way to transfer the files over.

For now I have set an FTP server on my home desktop running Kubuntu
9.04 and used the 'ftp://' URL in a Nautilus window on the laptop.

It takes a ling time, since the transfer rate is 7.4MB/s.

I am quite sure all the interfaces are set for max speed (how do I make sure?).

Is there another, better way, to do it or is this the best way?

I'd also like some pointers to eeePC related tips / tricks for better
use and care...

I am all new to the Laptop world, so I'd like to configure it correctly.

Thank you!

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html