Problem with graphical resolution.

theUser BL theuserbl at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 16:18:40 UTC 2009

On Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 I have the same problem with the resolution.
I have an old monitor, but not an old computer.
And because my monitor is old, Ubuntu says about the monitor it is "unknown". Thats not a problem, but because it is unknown the resolution after starting is 800x600. And then I can only choose to a lower resolution. :-(

openSuSE starts at the beginning with 1024x768. And it is possible to go over to higher resolutions. Then a program goes to a little time to the higher resolution and ask if you see anything. And you must klick there on a "yes" botten, otherwise it goes back to the resolution before.

Knoppix have in GRUB the input option fb1024x768 and fb1280×1024.

But on Ubuntu I have the very bad resolution. :-(

Or is there any possibility to change it before booting (on GRUB) or after booting?

Greatings
theuserbl