jaunty the worst ever

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon May 18 13:53:53 UTC 2009

> Frankly Ive been rather disappointed by Ubuntu 9.04... for a so called
> "stable"/LTS release it doesn't seem that way.

9.04 is not an LTS release and never was meant to be !
First LTS was 6.06, next was 8.04, next will (likely/possibly) be
10.04, but 9.04 was never going to be an LTS, neither will 9.10

I am not particularly satisfied with 9.04, since it didn't cure any of
the irritating bugs I experienced in 8.10, but rather added its own new
round of problems: the two new notification system (the general purpose
one for system and apps notifications, and the one specific to the
update manager). Luckily both these 9.04 novelties can easily be
reverted to what they were in 8.10.
So I have now a 9.04 that no better or worse than 8.10. Not really
satisfying then, but still, to come back to your point, it's not an
LTS, so depiste me not being overly enthusiastic about 9.04, it would
not be fair either, to have above average expectations from it.
In my experience, though, LTS has never meant "better quality". I have
run/used each and every Ubuntu release since the first one, 4.10, and
to my surprise the first LTS was, 6.06, was significantly WORSE than
all previous, non-LTS releases. It thjen took a few non-LTS released to
come back to where it was. Then the second LTS came along, 8.04, this
one was like a normal release: no better no worse, nothing particular.

--
Vince