ubuntu post installation hardening

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sun May 17 23:54:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 17:46 +0000, looner _ wrote:
> Hi All!
> Just quick question if anybody can advise me how to make my Ubuntu as secure as possible.

Fill it full of concrete and deposit it in a safety deposit box in
Switzerland....

If you want to use it to, then you need to make some compromises.

How do you want to use it? and how important is your data to you?
Where will it be?

We can't answer questions like that without more info.

If you are a typical home user, then have a darned good password, good
backups, keep it updated and don't 'experiment' with various server
software unless you need it.

Ubuntu out of the box is 'good enough' for many (most?) people.

YOUR BEHAVIOUR IS MORE IMPORTANT.

Brian