jaunty the worst ever

Mike McGinn mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net
Sun May 17 22:03:50 UTC 2009

I just upgraded to jaunty from intrepid on my Dell Inspiron Laptop with 4 Gig
of memory and a 320G hard drive. This is the buggiest KDE distribution I have
ever used - I have not seen such problems with updating display rectangles
since Windows 3.0. I thought the version of KDE shipped with Intrepid was not
ready for prime time - I was amazed that Jaunty is actually worse.

Kmail is another set of issues. With 5+ years of contacts and email stored, as
well as about 200 filters on incoming mail, switching mail clients is not a
possibility. One would think Kmail would not have errors at this late state
rendering text in the messages window. One would also think that the people
who design Kmail would have learned to put the settings for the mail headers
window where they could be found. Also, I would think that the folders window
could remember what columns I want displayed between settings. In Intrepid
Kmail could not remember the window size I wanted, now it remembers the window
size but forgets a bunch of other stuff. LAY OFF THE DRUGS GUYS!

So, since Kubuntu seems to be getting incrementally worse instead of improving
it is time to ignore all the hype and start looking for a distro where they
actually do testing before release.

Jaunty Jackalope my Irish Ass! More like Jaunty Jackass.

--
Mike McGinn
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.