Update error dependency problems.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 16 23:29:51 UTC 2009

On 05/16/2009 03:56 PM, Bob St. John wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For the past month or so Update Manager concludes with dependency
> errors. Apparently initrd.img is a directory rather than a file. I've
> done diligent research but I can't figure out what the
> problem is. See the attached screenshot. Also, "uname -a" returns:
>
> Linux bob-ubuntu-desktop 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17
> 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Can someone help me understand what the problem is and how to fix it?
> Thanks . . .

Give this a try (and yes I've tested/used on my systems) from a terminal:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

If you are then still having problems, try:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall initramfs-tools