Terminal

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:35:21 UTC 2009

2009/5/16 sg1 <thedoctor at iinet.net.au>:
> Hi
>
> Trying to move from sg1 to desktop what is the exact command.
> The below lines did not work.
>
> Thanks
>
> root at sg1-desktop:/home/sg1# cd ~/Desktop
> bash: cd: /root/Desktop: No such file or directory
> root at sg1-desktop:/home/sg1#

Seems like you are still root. You don't need to be, do you? So first
type ”exit” to go back to normal user. As long as you are root, ~
means ”/root”, even if you are at your home folder.

If you use your TAB key for autocompletion, you will make sure that
every folder and file you enter exists. You can double-hit the TAB to
see what options are available.

When not root, these commands will do what you want:

sg1 at sg1-desktop:~$ cd Desktop
sg1 at sg1-desktop:~/Desktop$

or

sg1 at sg1-desktop:~$ cd ~/Desktop
sg1 at sg1-desktop:~/Desktop$

or

sg1 at sg1-desktop:~$ cd $HOME/Desktop
sg1 at sg1-desktop:~/Desktop$

or

sg1 at sg1-desktop:~$ cd /home/sg1/Desktop
sg1 at sg1-desktop:~/Desktop$

Even though the last command is longer than the others, it doens't
require very much typing. It depends on how your folders and files are
organized, but this would probaby be enough:

cd /h[TAB]s[TAB]D[TAB][↵]

If you really have to be root (why, why why?), you can't use ~ since
that's the root's home folder, not yours. You can't use $HOME either,
since that's also root's home folder. So you really need to input the
complete path: cd /home/sg1/Desktop

I've seen people saying that root doesn't have a desktop. On my
machine root DOES really have a desktop, but I don't know why. Maybe I
copied my own desktop there by mistake months ago when I was an even
more beginner than I am today… That doesn't explain, however, why my
wife also have /root/Desktop on her machine…

J.R.