No Sound

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat May 16 21:27:51 UTC 2009

JAY HOPPA wrote:
>     I just installed UNBUNTU 9.04 from a new dick from CANONICAL.
> Installation went with out any problems except 1.  I have no sound what
> so ever, sound card recognized, drivers there, not muted, and the volume
> turned up. This is a new hard-drive and the sound card worked with heron
> on the other drive.  Looked and tried all the methods given on various
> lists, any help would be greatly appreited.  Might this be a bug perhapes?

I chased my tail around in circles for half a day with the same issue.
The problem was that the Line Out of my Ubuntu box went to the Line In
of a Windows box, and I had Line In muted in the Windows mixer!  D'oh!
(The simple stuff always kills me...).

Do you have headphones/ speakers plugged directly into your Ubuntu box?
  Are they known good (e.g. tested with another source)?

HTH,

David